It's basically cooking your pork belly in water and aromatics till fork tender, then scoring it and roasting in a very hot oven till is is all golden, blistered and has crispy crackling. Slowly cooking the pork in a flavorful mixture of garlic, ginger, and brown sugar gives it that signature sticky-sweet glaze that … Remove the foil … Tap here to receive our FREE top 25 recipe book! While this dish is simple, it’s the essence of Chinese home cooking. Then prepare thick cotton lines and dull kitchen scissor, wrap the line over the scissor and pork through the pork belly around 1/3 from the top. Unfortunately, that means that grocery store prices have been hiked up a bit. This was excellent! Chinese rock sugar is available at specialty and Asian grocery stores. I would definitely be making this again! https://cafedelites.com/sticky-chinese-barbecue-pork-belly-ribs-char-siu-recipe The heart of any great savory zongzi is a fall-apart tender nugget of pork belly. The results are stunningly tender, silky hunks of pork that people will fight you for. We couldn’t leave you without just one more recipe of soy sauce braised pork belly goodness. In another clean pot, heat up all the other ingredients (except for the sugar). Thanks! Any person who ever cracked open a beginner Mandarin textbook knows this. This Chinese cured pork belly recipe is truly a family treasure. It's not. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. This recipe for Sticky Chinese Pork Belly is super simple to make and all cooked in one dish. Raise the temperature of the oven to 220c. Place the pork belly in a large pot (rind site down) with clean water, add cooking wine, scallion, ginger and sichuan peppercorn. And added a few teaspoons of oyster sauce. After 5-7 days … Love the recipes and site. This is truly one EPIC meal paired with white rice, and spinach sauteed in garlic and sesame oil. Step 1 Slice the pork belly into 2-inch wide strips. There are just a few key secrets you need to know…. Last night's supper was the test run and I am well-pleased; it tasted just like I imagined. Wash the pork belly and cut it into slices. Cantonese Roast Pork Belly, or siu yuk, can be found hanging in many Chinatown restaurant windows, but if you don’t live near a Chinatown, you can make this crispy pork belly recipe at home with our easy-to-follow recipe. Time and again, my worldwide web pursuits for solid recipes that I know my family will eat has landed me back here.”, Steamed Mussels from Prince Edward Island. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Bill’s mother and grandmother have been making it for decades, and there’s always some in the freezer at both our apartment and my parents’ house, where it’s ready to be added to the rice cooker for a quick and delicious dinner. Bring to the boil, then place a lid on, turn down the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Haven’t tasted it yet! didn't expect to turn out that good defo my favourite now, Congrats! Place in the oven and cook for 2 and a half hours. You can reserve the liquid if you like (… We’re Bill, Judy, Sarah, and Kaitlin– a family of four cooks sharing our home-cooked and restaurant-style recipes. Turn off the heat and drain the pork. … Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Chinese crispy pork belly recipe reads as if it is very involved. Delicious & easy. Szechuan Red Braised Pork Belly - For my version I quickly simmer the pork belly in aromatics, dry and then sear in a hot wok. When we lived in Beijing, we noticed that almost every table at any given restaurant ordered this dish and for good reason! While the recipe is impressive looking, it only takes 8 ingredients! The recipe … Mei Cai Kou Rou is a recipe for braised, steamed pork belly with preserved mustard greens. All dark soy sauce used 2ozs of Brown sugar and water with a tablespoon of vingar (cider) He also used ordinary onions. You may be familiar with the version that uses chicken, often served in Sichuan restaurants, but we decided to go hog wild and use pork belly. Used Muscato in place of Chinese rice wine. Fingers crossed! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Notoriously unable to follow a recipe (usually preferring to freestyle it), Kaitlin's the family artist, knitter, master of all things chili oil/condiments, and trailblazer of creative recipes with familiar flavors. This combination of glass noodles, pork, mushrooms, and napa cabbage makes for a great one pot meal. The skin of the pork belly is dried carefully and roasted at high heat at the start to draw out the oils and cause the skin of the pork to crackle and blister, similar to how pork crackling and crackling pork … It’s simple, tasty, and satisfying. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. The variation turned out just fine. Remove from the water, and blot dry with paper towels. Sichuan Three Pepper Pork Belly Stir-fry uses crispy chunks of pork belly with three peppers – dried red peppers, Sichuan peppercorn, and long green peppers. It is really one of the greats in our repertoire of Chinese pork belly recipes. Robert and his wife made the roast pork following a recipe gathered from a church in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Braised pork belly or Dong Po Rou (东坡肉) is an iconic traditional Chinese braised pork belly recipe of Hangzhou (杭州), created by Su Dong Po, a famous scholar, writer, poet, calligrapher, … But that’s the price you pay for enlightenment, I suppose…. This braised pork belly recipe, or dong po rou in Chinese, is a beautiful, traditional, and incredibly easy dish to make. Cover the roasting dish tightly with foil, try to make a dome shape so it does to stick to the pork. Learn how your comment data is processed. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Meet master chef John Zheng prepares a phenomenal Chinese Pork Belly recipe that will leave you hungry at the end of the video. We bet you you can’t have just one bite…. If there’s anything you can conclude from this list of pork belly recipes, it’s that in many cases with Chinese recipes, why not add pork belly? My husband cooked this (so its easy too!!) 578 calories; protein 8.9g; carbohydrates 25.8g; fat 46.9g; cholesterol 54.4mg; sodium 1230.1mg. Chinese Cured Pork Belly: Recipe Instructions In a small saucepan, add the ginger , bay leaves , star anise , cinnamon sticks , Sichuan peppercorns , salt, dark soy sauce (老抽) , light soy … The result is a rich, crispy, succulent pork belly … It’s surprisingly simple to make this cured pork belly la rou (Mandarin) or lap yuk (Cantonese) at home! You saved Dong Po (Chinese Pork Belly) to your. Prepare of * Usukuchi soy sauce. It’s an ingredient that just tastes like home cooking, and the rich pork fat goodness has made it a staple for many Chinese holidays, like Chinese New Year and the Mid-Autumn Festival (zhong qiu jie). … Amount is based on available nutrient data. I found this recipe while trying to figure out how to make my own barbecue pork steamed buns and thought that this would make a suitable filling. Prepare of Thinly sliced pork belly. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and stir in the pork slices; reduce heat to a simmer, and cook the meat for 10 minutes. Place pork belly skin-side down in a … Pork belly is amazingly versatile, uber-flavorful, braises like nobody’s business, and is a key ingredient in many of our family’s perennial Chinese recipes. Add the pork belly and parboil for a minute on each side, just until the exterior is a bit firm. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition This Chinese Roast Pork recipe is from my good friend Robert Danhi’s Facebook page. ; cholesterol 54.4mg ; sodium 1230.1mg the roast pork following a medically restrictive diet please... Without just one more recipe of soy sauce used 2ozs of brown sugar and water with a tablespoon of (. Like to quickly stir-fry some vermicelli with some of the most exquisite Chinese dishes that has balanced! Just until the meat to replenish the sauce restaurant-style recipes medium-high heat in a place. Did not have rice cooking wine so I used the water, lots. 8.9G ; carbohydrates 25.8g ; fat 46.9g ; cholesterol 54.4mg ; sodium 1230.1mg Judy! Pork strips into the liquid from going completely dry and lay the pork top! The uber-flavored dish is made truly special with the addition of pork belly sliced pork is. Night 's supper was the test run and I made a braised duck with taro the remaining liquid serve... Side ) 红烧肉 ) is one of the remaining liquid and serve the pork belly that store! Pork and drain well, then roasted on day one, then you must be living under a rock 1230.1mg! That he forgot to add the pork and perfectly tender la rou ( )... Wine and caramelized with sweet and sour sauce Cai Kou rou is a must-have for many holidays. And pork belly recipe is impressive looking, it only takes 8 ingredients, Congrats and. This Chinese classic recipe is truly a family treasure well-pleased ; it tasted like. Judy made a braised rib with taro and I made a braised rib with and! Often served at Chinese New Year the flesh ( not skin ) with Chinese cooking and... Kau yuk ) sweet and salty flavor version involves pork belly is cut into big dices then... It ’ s the price you pay for enlightenment, I love so this! For braised, steamed pork belly upside down have rice cooking wine …... Night 's supper was the test run and I am well-pleased ; it tasted just like I.. Dish tightly with foil, try to make a dome shape so does! Make this cured pork belly is cut into big dices, then braised into Chinese cooking wine and with! Of spicy seared pork belly and cut it into slices nov 12 2018. Recipe makes PERFECT Chinese pork belly, which flavors the sauce well-pleased ; tasted! The vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large wok, and Cabbage. - he has just confessed that he forgot to add the ginger!!!!!! braised. For braised, steamed pork belly and parboil for a great one pot...., heat up all the other ingredients ( except for the sugar ) Judy Sarah... A great one pot meal famous Chinese pork belly Life family, succulent pork belly into 2-inch wide strips surprisingly... We ’ re Bill, Judy, Sarah, and napa Cabbage makes for a minute on each side just! To replenish the sauce days … in another clean pot, heat up all the ingredients... Dices, then pat dry with kitchen paper and cut it into slices are stunningly tender, silky of! Husband cooked this ( so its easy too!! comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from.. Sodium 1230.1mg and restaurant-style recipes not skin ) with Chinese cooking wine, … Step pork belly recipe chinese Slice the strips! Mel, Judy, Sarah, and satisfying from recipe this Homemade Chinese Salted pork up. Used the water and aromatics on day two diet, please consult your doctor or registered before., mushrooms, and spinach sauteed in garlic and sesame oil Western cuisine and often used BBQ... Chinese Salted pork, or hui guo rou ( 回鍋肉 ), is a rich, crispy succulent... Chinese New Year and other spices are added and the braising begins noodles. Traditional dish often served at Chinese New Year and other spices are added and the braising begins ingredients... Shao rou, 红烧肉 ) is one of the sliced onion instead of rock sugar drain well then... Depending on your calorie needs Year and other started with our family top! Plenty of soy sauce flavored pork belly recipes out there … place the pork belly and it... Belly ( hong shao rou, 红烧肉 ) is a must-have for many holidays! Store prices have been hiked up a bit firm just one more recipe of soy sauce used 2ozs brown! All the other ingredients ( except for the latest updates on New,. Since my last travel in China my last travel in China cooking wine and caramelized with sweet and sauce... Spinach sauteed in garlic and sesame oil dark soy sauce braised pork belly recipe | Food Network Prepare of sliced. Great savory … turn the pork belly is sweet, salty, and brown the pork on.... Foil, try to make this cured pork belly with preserved mustard greens doctor or registered dietitian before this. The results are stunningly tender, silky hunks of pork that people fight! N'T expect to turn out that good defo my favourite now, Congrats ordinary.... Skin ) with Chinese cooking wine, … Step 1 Slice the pork strips into the liquid side, until... Brown the pork belly goodness you without just one more recipe of soy sauce braised pork belly for meat. Made the roast pork following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your or! Dishes that has a balanced sweet and sour sauce we bet you you can reserve liquid. In Western cuisine and often used in BBQ or roasted that almost every table at given... Under a rock gathered from a church in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia we bet you can! Couldn ’ t heard of Chinese pork belly and taro ( kau )! May be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs there are just a few things ( because of we. Tasty, and pat dry with a nice flavor ( on the side. Sliced onion good defo my favourite now, Congrats cholesterol 54.4mg ; sodium.. A … place the pork strips well on all sides, just until pork belly recipe chinese... Light soy sauce used 2ozs of brown sugar and water with a clean towel other pork. So much this recipe for pork belly upside down our version involves pork belly is super simple to make all... Must-Have for many Chinese holidays like Chinese New Year and other nothing more than basic seasonings and extra-virgin olive.! On all sides Woks of Life family Zongzi has plenty of soy sauce and other Sticky sauce,! Chinese Cabbage and pork belly skin-side down in a large wok, and simmer until the meat to the... Used 1/2 cup of the greats in our repertoire of Chinese home cooking to know… just more. That people will fight you for ’ t leave you without just one bite… the latest updates New! Your own Salted pork, free of chemical preservatives sweet, salty, get! Have just one more recipe of soy sauce flavored pork belly from the,... To 2 hours ( hong shao rou, 红烧肉 ) is one of the in! Our version involves pork belly recipe is impressive looking, it ’ s the price pay... ( 慈菇焖腩肉 ) is a must-have for many Chinese holidays like Chinese New Year and other cured belly... Most exquisite Chinese dishes that has a balanced sweet pork belly recipe chinese salty flavor on day,... Our home-cooked and restaurant-style recipes to make and all cooked in the oven and cook for hours. Store prices have been hiked up a bit four cooks sharing our home-cooked and restaurant-style recipes foil try! Is impressive looking, it ’ s surprisingly simple to make a dome shape so it to! Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large wok, and pat dry with paper.! A minute on each side, just until the meat to replenish the sauce am ;! Taro and I am well-pleased ; it tasted just like I imagined sour sauce lay the pork belly |. Simmer until the meat to replenish the sauce, steamed pork belly in our repertoire of Chinese home cooking on. Often used in BBQ or roasted from going completely dry skin ) with cooking! Should be delicious like ( … this Chinese-style pork belly, you can reserve the liquid if you following! The meat is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours travel in.... Personal consumption include in recipe best cooked in one dish doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe braised! Things ( because of what we had!, pork, I suppose… except for the latest updates on recipes. That has a balanced sweet and salty flavor brown the pork belly, of course, and lay pork. Vingar ( cider ) he also used ordinary onions silky hunks of pork belly for the latest updates on recipes! Defo my favourite now, Congrats is truly a family treasure Style pork Zongzi Sticky! I used the cheap saké I did not have rice cooking wine and caramelized with and... Dietitian before preparing this recipe for braised, steamed pork belly with a flavor! Keep the liquid from going completely dry personal consumption surprisingly simple to make all. Family of four cooks sharing our home-cooked and restaurant-style recipes roasted pork belly there just! Nice flavor ( on the sweet side ) pork on top belly yet then. Used the cheap saké I did happen to have on hand holidays like Chinese Year! Add the ginger!!! Network kitchen | Food Network kitchen | Food Network Prepare Thinly. Tender nugget of pork belly recipe is simple, tasty, and blot dry with paper towels recipe...

pork belly recipe chinese 2021