The trip begins on a mostly sandy trail leading you North into the Golden trout Wilderness. Common Destinations: Golden Trout Lakes. I often find late August and early September to be the best times for camping, because the temperatures are better and the fishing is the best. Since Kathy and I had gotten a late start, our plan was to hike the trail to the first lake we encountered, take a few photographs, and return to the trailhead before dark. Since Kathy and I had gotten a late start, our plan was to hike the trail to the first lake we encountered, take a few photographs, and return to the trailhead before dark. Golden Trout Creek: Starts at the headwaters of Big Whitney Meadow and Rocky Basin Lakes. This piece originally appeared in my October 26, 2018, “On Patrol” column in My Outdoor Buddy and Nor Cal Fish Reports. Download area map for trail names. The trip begins on a mostly sandy trail leading you North into the Golden trout Wilderness. Could these be some of the legendary golden trout that the wilderness area was named for? Most of the fish were golden trout, which are not native. California Dept. Directions: The trailhead to Hilton lakes can be accessed from two locations. “You can probably make it in two hours,” said the gentleman and his wife, both equipped with backpacks and sleeping bags. Sitting quietly and listening to the gentle babble of water tumbling over the rocks, we spotted several fingerling trout darting in and out of the shadows. The Mono County Tourism fall-color report is updated every Wednesday. I captured this close-up view of quaking aspens from Virginia Lakes Road, west of Conway Summit. The lakes, meanwhile, have been stocked with walleye, pike, muskie, largemouth bass, crappie, bluegill and other native species. Photos; Directions; Print/PDF Map; Share; More; Muir Lake from the old Cottonwood Trailhead is a 13.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lone Pine, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. Turn east at the Portal Creek turnoff – FS Road 984. The scene reminded me of an artist’s color wheel—pale green,  yellow, gold, orange, and  several shades of red. Fantastic tenkara fishing. The view of the Owens Valley from Horseshoe Meadows Road. (For now!) Golden Trout Lake from Mapcarta, the free map. Almost too easy. The distance to the lakes is approximately 2.2 miles, and the elevation gain is approximately 2,200 feet. A host of trails and off-trail targets make this a prime base camp. Caught fish, saw lots of wildlife, and had a good time; with some CRAZY surprises. Get directions, find nearby businesses and places, and much more. Could they be goldens? Please check their website for updates. Download area map for trail names. Sitting quietly and listening to the gentle babble of water tumbling over rocks, we spotted several fingerling trout. Golden Trout Lake is a lake in Idaho and has an elevation of 8153 feet. Golden Trout Campground is not operated by Hipcamp and can only be booked externally. Every fall, aspens put on a magnificent display in California’s Eastern Sierra. Over the years I’ve visited again and again, sometimes in the spring, sometimes in the summer, and sometimes in the fall. Golden trout lakes is a 5-mile rout trip hike with the opportunity to fish for Golden Trout. We stock Golden Trout in select high mountain lakes as the fish become available. This is a favored place for backpackers to bed down, and for good reason. I’d like to think it’s worth it. All Rights Reserved. At a Glance. See more ideas about trout, fly fishing, fish. After trudging up the trail for two hours, we met a couple headed in the opposite direction. Turn southeast (left) at Crowley Lake Drive at a 4-way stop sign. Populus tremuloides has been referred to as the canary in the coal mine when it comes to analyzing the effects of climate change (increasing hot, dry weather) on our Western forests. Unlike Lower Lake where the Cutthroat were rising constantly, I only saw one of these Goldens every 20-30 minutes. Taxonomy. Golden trout eggs from California were first brought to Cook Lake (Sublette County) in 1920 by U.S. Forest Service personnel. After a mile there is reliable water in the form of a creek. Stay right at the first fork. Cottonwood Lakes Loop starts from Horseshoe Meadow and travels from the Golden Trout Wilderness into John Muir Wilderness. As we climbed higher and  higher, eventually rising to 10,000 feet, I commented that we hadn’t seen a single car on the way up and maybe we would have the whole mountain to ourselves. Golden Trout Lake is a water feature in Inyo County and has an elevation of 11,401 feet. Golden Trout Lake Loop is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Independence, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. Get directions, find nearby businesses and places, and much more. From my experience and what I thought was that Golden Trout were usually in lakes in the sierras over an elevation of 10,000 feet. This is the thanks I get for saving your life? https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/montana/golden-trout-lakes Once you get to the beginning of the trail, the hike is a nice little workout until you reach the final location of Golden Trout Lakes. There are also campspots with fire pits if you want to make it an overnight. The creek has about 14 miles of fishable water from just below Rocky Basin Lakes at 10,500 feet to above Volcano Falls next to the Kern River at 7,500. Cottonwood Lakes Loop starts from Horseshoe Meadow and travels from the Golden Trout Wilderness into John Muir Wilderness. The wik says “The golden trout is commonly found at elevations from 6,890 feet (2,100 m) to 10,000 feet (3,000 m) above sea level”. Lower Golden Trout Lake is a water feature in Fresno County and has an elevation of 10,791 feet. The dirt road follows Portal Creek. The Golden Trout lakes offer a scenic getaway just out of the Gallatin Valley Canyon. First stocked in 1938, the golden trout at Sylvan Lake are well known in Montana for their genetic purity. That has not been my experience or what I understood about the Golden Trout. › Golden Trout Wilderness ... Golden Trout Wilderness. They say no good deed goes unpunished; before slithering into the weeds, my scaly new friend showed his gratitude by wheeling around and hissing at me. Cottonwood Pass This 7-mile round trip trail ascends 1,200 feet to an 11,200-foot pass and a junction with the Pacific Crest Trail, with access to Golden Trout Wilderness and Sequoia National Park. Enter your email below to be notified when we get access. Saving this moisture-dependent species for future generations to enjoy may depend on our making dramatic cuts to greenhouse-gas emissions. Lubken Canyon Road turned out to be everything the motel clerk said it would be. Tom's Place is 30 miles north of Bishop, 9 miles south of the Mammoth Lakes turnoff, or 34 miles south of Lee Vining. This trail is steep, rugged and difficult to follow. This fall, Kathy and I returned with a limited amount of time, so we decided to spend one day checking out the Golden Trout Wilderness west of Lone Pine and the next morning photographing the annual aspen display near Conway Summit. www.NevadaFishReports.com © 2021. HORSESHOE MEADOW – This trailhead area is also referred to as the Cottonwood Lakes Trailhead Several trails embark from the Horseshoe Meadow area including those going northwest to Cottonwood Lakes and New Army and Old Army Passes, those … Starting from Onion Valley, Golden Trout Lakes Trail ends at Golden Trout Lakes, in the John Muir Wilderness. Much to our delight,  grove after grove of quaking aspens were decked out in their most brilliant fall colors. Badges, Bears, and Eagles—The True-Life Adventures of a California Fish and Game Warden. After a mile there is reliable water in the form of a creek. The opening of trout season in the Eastern Sierra remains popular, but as some of the veteran game wardens will tell you, it doesn’t draw the crowds it did back in the sixties and seventies. The view from Lubken Canyon Road. Trails lead into the Golden Trout Wilderness, Inyo National Forest portion from Hwy 395 via Horseshoe Mdw., Sage Flat, and Haiwee Pass. I spent a couple of hours catching trout-after-trout at this unnamed lake, which I’m calling 10594 by the elevation I mapped it at. Originally the golden trout was described as a subspecies of the salmon species, with a name Salmo mykiss agua-bonita, and it is still often considered a subspecies (now called Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita) along with several other rainbow trout subspecies commonly known as redband trout. Shortly after sunrise, we reveled in this incredible view of quaking aspens from Conway Summit. Golden Trout Lake from Mapcarta, the free map. Jul 2, 2013 - Beautiful pictures of the golden trout in the high country were fly fishing is good!. The parking lot at Horseshoe Meadow was full, and a dozen excited backpackers, many of them speaking foreign languages, were readying their gear for the ascent into the Golden Trout Wilderness. Notice the famous Alabama Hills in the background. The Golden Trout Creek volcanic field consists of a group of Quaternary basaltic cinder cones and lava flows in the Toowa valley of the Sierra Nevada about 25 km (15.5 mi) south of Mount Whitney, California. Along the way, we stopped to rest on the banks of  a gorgeous little stream called South Fork Cottonwood Creek. Gateway to the Cottonwood Lakes and Golden Trout Wilderness. Looming In the background were the famous Alabama Hills, where 150 movies and at least a dozen TV shows had been filmed over the decades. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Four buddies hiked to Cave Lake, MT in hope of catching Golden Trout. That spring, the majestic mountains to the west were covered with snow, and the entire scene, from Mount Whitney to Mammoth Lakes, looked like something you’d see on a Christmas card. Discover places to visit and explore on Bing Maps, like Golden Trout Lake California. Pass over the log bridge or rock hop, and proceed on the flat trail skirting a meadow that holds Cottonwood Creek. The blooming wild sunflowers that decorated Lubken Canyon Road made me think it was April, rather than late September. According to Jeff Simpson of Mono County Tourism, the following sites currently have the best fall color:  Rock Creek, McGee Creek, Sagehen Summit, and Lobdell Lake. Rough roads to the Golden Trout Lakes It was difficult driving up the road to get to the beginning of the trail, so I recommend a vehicle that can handle the rough road; preferably a truck or AWD.

golden trout lake directions 2021